Tips for New Writers: #1 The Creative Process  

Posted by Jonathan Hop

To veteran writers this post may not teach anything new, but I wanted to talk a little bit about how to take that great book idea you've had and bring it to life.  I've written five books so far and handled the workload myself, from writing it to designing the cover, so I think new writers would find some of the following advice useful.   I also do a lot of freelance work editing manuscripts, designing book covers, and offering people advice on how to make their book sing on the shelf.  I'm working on a fiction novel right now.  So far, I've done books on the Chinese game of Go and my travails through South Korea, but I've always been a fiction writer at heart.  For our purposes today, though, the genre is of little importance.  The basics are what matter!  Over the course of the next several weeks, I'll do some short essays on some ideas to help you on your self publishing journey. 

So, you've got your great idea bouncing around in your head, but that's basically the only place anyone can find it.  You've got to actually sit down at your desk and make your idea dance on the page.  This takes discipline, plain and simple. It also takes a lot of self knowledge.  Different people have different energy levels when it comes to the creative process.  I'm a person that has bursts of energy.  I dream of book signings and television interviews, and how great my work will be, and how many people will enjoy it.  This puts me in a great state of mind, when I get what my friend calls the "fever."  For instance, I wrote my first two Go books in two weeks.  I started earlier than that two week period, but I had just pecked at them without much inspiration.  When I finally got it in my head I really wanted them done, I focussed my will and worked like mad to get them done.  This produces the best results for me, but usually amazes anyone I tell it to.

How do you maintain your energy levels?  Some people are disciplined and can maintain a steady level of energy.  Some people prefer having a set schedule and love falling into the rhythm of habit.  Some people set aside one to two hours specifically for writing everyday, and then slowly but surely reach their goals.  Some people prefer to write in cafes, or near calming scenery.  It's important you understand yourself well enough to be able to write in a consistent manner so that you can be assured that you'll finish your project.  Also, be sure it's enjoyable, and keep your focus on how much you'll enjoy yourself once you get to the finished product.  I won't give you the speech about how most authors don't make what J.K. Rowling makes, or the speech about loving what you do and not worrying about the money.  I've never agreed with either sentiment.  I want to make as much as J.K. Rowling AND love what I'm doing.  In fact, the salary would make me love it even more. 

You cannot get discouraged.  The reason I spend a lot of my time dreaming of all the great things that will come of my work is so that I will have the gas to reach the finish line.  Whether you are the tortoise or the hare, you have to believe you'll eventually break across that red tape to have any chance of getting to where you want to go.  Some people advise not to think too much about how to market your book, your cover art, or any of the nuts and bolts of actually getting your work out into the public during the creative process.  In my opinion you should, because again, it will help you get into the mindset that you will eventually finish writing that novel, and the task of bringing it to the market will seem like less of a fantasy and more of an inevitability.  Anything that helps you foster positive feelings towards the idea of finishing, will help push you to greater heights. 


This entry was posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 at 6:36 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment