Creative Juices  

Posted by Jonathan Hop

So where do you actually sit down and write?  I was thinking how important our environment is when we write.  Do you write at home in a special study you have tucked away in the back of your house, or do the people at Starbucks know you by name?  I'm sure most people write on their computer with ebooks and all, but sometimes I like to jot things down in a notebook I carry with me or write out handwritten prose just for the sensation.

The environment we choose to write in is everything.  I find that I get far too bored sitting at home to really write because the scenery is so static.  I like to go to a nice cafe down the street or a McDonald's and sit in the corner while tapping away at the keys.  Then again, with a slight change in mood, the silence of the library can be just the right venue to get to work.  Do you write indoors, or do you sit outside to enjoy the breeze and people watch?  Do you need occasional distractions to occupy your mind for a few moments, and then re-engage with your work?

Here's a question, where do you like to write and why?  How does your mood affect your writing, and how does your choice of writing environment affect the creative process?

This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 at 9:38 AM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment